Monday, November 5, 2007

Show me the money

Today I submitted an application to the National Science Foundation for a Graduate Research Fellowship. It provides a tuition waiver, a $30,000/year stipend, and an international travel fund for three years. That's a big deal, so it is very competitive; fewer than 10% of applications receive funding. I've been working on the essays over the past few weeks, so I feel pretty good about them.

I still receive money from my department either way - I won't be going hungry - though not nearly as much. If I get the fellowship, I'm rewarding myself with a new laptop and some other cool stuff. If I don't, well...I'll still probably buy a new laptop. I'll just be broke afterwards.

Not that my application is complete, I don't have a lot to do for the next couple weeks. Honestly, after class tomorrow, I'm not sure how to fill my day. Any suggestions?

No comments: